A roof is nothing to play around with. Choose the right roofing contractor and you have a roof that will last for twenty years or more. Otherwise, you have a headache that never ends. Best case, a few nails in the wrong place and you are faced with costly repairs. Worst case and your expensive investment disappears with the first big storm.
If you are looking for a roofing contractor in the Cincinnati area, your choice is Chris Hollon Construction, but how do you know if you need a new roof? Check for signs of a worn roof after any storm. Look for:
- Dripping water or wet insulation in the attic.
- Water stains on ceilings in the upper floor.
- Peeling paint on walls and ceilings.
- Shingles that look worn or missing.
- Large amounts of shingle granules in gutters or downspouts.
Discovering a bad roof early is your best insurance against costly repairs. Factors that can affect the integrity of your roof include:
- Heat and ultraviolet rays from the sun.
- Rain that backs up under shingles and rots underlayment.
- High winds can lift shingles and blow rain and trash under them.
- Falling limbs can damage shingles. Leaves can eventually lead to rot.
- Wind can break or even remove shingles.
8 Signs That You May Need Roofing Services
A new roof may not be the most visible home improvement you can make, but possibly the most valuable. In addition to stopping leaks and gutter problems, roofing services can address additional issues through preventative maintenance like identifying areas of wear and tear, potential gutter issues and sections vulnerable to future leaks.
Every homeowner should know how to identify the 8 signs that indicate it may be time to call a roofing company:
- Areas of the roof are sagging.
- Signs of water damage or leakage on the interior of your home.
- Dark spots or trails across the ceiling dry wall.
- You can see areas of light peeking through the roof into the interior of your home.
- Signs of moisture, rot or mold.
- Missing or broken shingles.
- Loose material around the chimney, vents or pipes.
- Massive amounts of shingle granules around the gutters.
We use only the highest quality materials to help extend the life of your roof, gutters and insulation:
- Gutter Solutions: We recommend 2 of the best gutter drainage protection systems on the market. One is Leaf Relief by Ply Gem, which is considered to be the most effective gutter protection available. The other is RapidFlow Gutter Drainage Protection, another quality system that keeps leaves and debris from clogging your gutters.
- Ice Damming and Insulation: 2 systems are critical in helping prevent damaging ice damming (when snow melts on the roof, then refreezes near the gutters ultimately damaging your roof and shingles); proper attic insulation and ventilation. A properly vented roof will allow the attic temperature to stay cold enough to reduce edge melting and refreeze. A properly insulated attic, using blown-in quality insulation, will keep heat inside your home further reducing the chance that snow will melt and refreeze around the edges of your roof.
- Shingles: There are numerous shingle choices, all offering exceptional quality and strong warranties. Quality shingles require little to no maintenance and look beautiful throughout the year.
What are Ice Dams?
Ice damming occurs on roofs when snow on your roof melts and then refreezes near your gutters, often causing damage to your shingles. Ice dams can occur on almost any residential roof in the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky area. The most common causes are inadequate insulation in the home and poor roof ventilation. Ice dams most often occur in ranch style houses or houses with low roof slopes and large overhangs.
Ice dams occur when snow is present on the roof and the outside temperature is below freezing. Homes with poor insulation allow heat to escape from the living quarters into the attic. If the roof system is not properly ventilated, the heat will build up in the attic and warm the roof deck, melting the snow above. When the melted snow reaches cooler roof areas, usually the gutters or areas near the overhang (eaves) it will refreeze. This freeze-thaw process can damage shingled roofs since the ice can travel “upslope” and get underneath the shingles.
Prevention and Protection
Installing new shingles will not prevent ice dams. Prevention only occurs when the entire roofing system is addressed, including attic insulation and roof ventilation. Ideally, the temperature in the attic space should be close to the same temperature as the outside air.
- Attic Insulation – adding insulation to your attic will minimize the heat that escapes from the living space into the attic. Additionally, electric outlets, plumbing vents, furnace stacks, and bathroom vents can allow heat to escape into the attic.
- Roof Ventilation – inevitably, heat will get into your attic during winter months. Proper roof ventilation allows that heat to escape and prevents your roof deck from warming. The freeze-thaw process that results in ice damming is unlikely to occur on a roof that is properly ventilated.
- Underlayments protect the roof deck from ice dams by creating a water-tight barrier between the shingles and the roof deck, but do not prevent ice damming from occurring.
Chris Hollon Construction will always:
- Meet with you to understand your vision, discuss your budget and provide a free consultation.
- Provide architecture and design assistance adding outdoor and indoor curb appeal to realize your dream home.
- Commit to project kick-off and completion on time.
- Arrange for delivery of required materials. Ensure a skilled, trained and careful set of workers are assigned to your job.
- Maintain a clean job site. We keep in mind that it’s your home, not a construction zone.
- Direct on site team to clean up during and after the job is complete, taking care to dispose of waste in a safe and suitable manner.
- Follow up to ensure you are satisfied with the job done.
Timely and cost-efficient home improvements can maintain and increase the value of your Northern Kentucky or Cincinnati home. For a free home improvement consultation, contact Chris Hollon Construction online or call 859-307-4895 today.
Chris Hollon Construction is boldly committed to being the best home improvement contractor in Greater Cincinnati. We intend to do so by offering the best service and quality for a price that is fair to everyone. Meanwhile we ourselves will continue to train and learn about the latest home technologies and market trends so we can always offer our customers the best solutions available. We will back every job with a commitment to the quality our work and we will not rest until our customer is satisfied.
Thanks for considering Chris Hollon Construction for your next project!
- Chris Hollon
Ready to Get Started?
If you are interested in our service and would like a free quote, or you would simply like to inquire more information about our services please fill out the short form below and we will get in touch with you soon. Give us a call at 859.307.4895.
"*" indicates required fields